Monday, August 2, 2010

Another iconic bridge in my sights

I have strolled across the BROOKLYN BRIDGE (on a shockingly cold January evening).
I have marched across my hometown GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE numerous times (I have a commemorative brick there, don't you know).
I now have plans to add another iconic bridge to that list.
I want to walk across the SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE in less than a month or so.
Here is how the brilliant BILL BRYSON described the bridge, in his Aussie guide "IN A SUNBURNED COUNTRY:"
"The Opera House is a splendid edifice and I wish to take nothing away from it, but my heart belongs to the Harbour Bridge. It's not as festive, but it is far more dominant -- you can see it from every corner of the city, creeping into frame from the oddest angles, like an uncle who wants to get into every snapshot. From a distance it has a kind of gallant restraint, majestic but not assertive, but up close it is all might. It soars above you, so high that you could pass a 10-story building beneath it, and looks like the heaviest thing on earth. Everything that is in it -- the stone blocks in its four towers, the lattice work of girders, the metal plates, the 6 million rivets (with heads like halved apples) -- is the biggest of its type you have ever seen. This is a bridge built by people who have had an Industrial Revolution, people with mountains of coal and ovens in which you could melt down a battleship. The arch alone weighs 30,000 tons. This is a great bridge."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a Bay Area native and former Oregon resident, now living in Iowa with my family. When it gets cold, I recall my high school days in Phoenix, Ariz. I am a music geek with a passion for funky jazz, obscure soul and early reggae. I love the Giants, the 49ers, Blazers and MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS. I am also a soccer fanatic who adores Leyton Orient and Sheffield Wednesday. I love Japanese cinema, especially the films of Seijun Suzuki and Ko Nakahira's "Kurutta Kajitsu."